Hope for Patients With All Stages of Brain Tumors
The Cooper Neurological Institute has established the Brain Tumor Program as a multidisciplinary treatment and research center. Located adjacent to MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, our program provides instant access to uncompromised clinical care, offering hope for patients with all stages of brain tumors, including brain cancer.
MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper and the Cooper Neurological Institute (CNI) offer a comprehensive approach to tumors of the brain and surrounding structures. Our program is unique in its multidisciplinary, collaborative, patient-centered philosophy, which keeps the patient and treating physicians constantly in touch with the diagnosis, treatment and progress as complex care is rendered.
Each case is discussed in detail at the weekly brain tumor conference that is attended by all treating physicians and other involved healthcare professionals
A comprehensive, patient-centered approach from the experts at MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper and the Cooper Neurological Institute
The center includes:
- A multi-disciplinary brain tumor center offering patients access to a team of caregivers in one convenient location
- Access to clinical trials offering the most advanced treatment options
- An integrative care coordinator who assists patients on all aspects of their care
- The focused expertise of subspecialized neurosurgeons and neuro-oncologists, the additional expertise available through collaborations within the CNI, and the breadth of knowledge of an extended multidisciplinary team, ensures patients' needs are always our primary concern.
Conditions treated as part of the program include all tumors of the brain, skull and scalp such as:
- Acoustic neuroma (vestibular schwanoma)
- Metastatic brain tumors
- Pituitary tumors and tumors of and around the optic nerves
- Skull-base tumors
- Tumors of the cranio-cervical junction
- Intraventricular tumors
Treatment options available as part of the brain tumor program include:
- Stereotactic frame-based tumor aspiration and biopsy
- Stereotactic frameless biopsy
- Image-guided brain tumor removal
- Image-guided, microsurgical brain tumor removal
- Conventional radiotherapy
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery
- Cyberknife, multi-session stereotactic, robotic radiotherapy
- Neuro-oncologic services including first-, second- and third-line chemotherapy
- Access to the latest clinical trials at MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper
Support your cancer treatments with complementary therapies that focus on mind, body and spirit
The Cooper Neurological Institute offers you access to several therapies that are designed to enhance conventional cancer treatment such as the Dr. Diane Barton Complementary Medicine Program. The program allows patients and family members to participate in classes designed to reduce stress, improve mood and enhance overall health. Therapies include massage, Reiki therapy as well as creative arts for healing, music therapy and enlightening education program. These programs are administered by certified therapists.
Only Cooper offers you the most advanced Gamma Knife treatment — brain surgery without incisions.
Cooper is one of only a few hospitals in the United State to offer the revolutionary Leksell Gamma Knife® Perfexion™ technology, the most advanced brain cancer treatment option available.
The Gamma Knife treats malignant and nonmalignant brain tumors with a single treatment of concentrated, precisely targeted beams of radiation aggressively attacking the tumor without harming any surrounding healthy tissue.
The procedure is safe, painless, and requires no incisions. Most patients return home the same day as their treatment and resume their normal activities after just a few days.
Click on any of the physicians below to view their full profile