The Neurointerventional Surgery team brings breakthrough and advanced minimally invasive surgical techniques to the Cooper Neurological Institute.
Our team of fellowship-trained endovascular neurosurgeons and neurointerventional radiologists are experts on the latest in the field of neurointerventional surgery. Also known as endovascular surgical neuroradiology, this rapidly evolving subspecialty offers minimally invasive surgical options that can treat patients who would not benefit from traditional surgical options or prefer shorter hospital stays and recovery periods. Our team offers 24/7 coverage for emergencies and hospital transfers.
Using maneuverable catheters and wires in a state-of-the-art biplane suite, our neurointerventional surgeons diagnose and treat various conditions and diseases of the central nervous system.
Dedicated Neurointerventional Suite Located in the ER
Cooper has opened a new, dedicated Acute Stroke and Neuro Interventional Suite within its Emergency Department – the first of its kind in the nation. The suite is equipped with the latest generation Siemens biplane angiography system with an integrated CT scanner and fully integrated surgical image guidance, allowing minimally invasive intracerebral hemorrhage evacuation procedures. Our neurointerventional team will be able to treat emergent and non-emergent forms of cerebrovascular disease, including acute stroke of any type, cerebral aneurysms, carotid artery disease, and other serious conditions affecting the brain and spinal cord, faster than ever before.
Patients who come into the emergency department with neurological symptoms will be evaluated and treated right where they enter the hospital without the need for time-consuming transfers from the Emergency Department to the CT scanner and from the CT scanner to a procedural suite. Patients will be able to receive stroke treatments immediately, avoiding the time it usually takes to evaluate and treat neurological disorders, saving brain tissue and leading to better clinical outcomes.
Advanced Treatment Options
Our team treats conditions such as cerebral aneurysm, arteriovenous malformations (AVMs), carotid stenosis, intracranial stenosis, acute ischemic stroke, spinal arteriovenous malformations, arteriovenous fistulae, moyamoya disease and cavernous malformation among other neurovascular diseases.
During the minimally invasive surgeries, endovascular specialists use the following technologies to maneuver through the body:
- Biplane neuroendovascular operating suite
- X-ray fluoroscopy
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Complex Endosurgical Procedures
Our team specializes in the following endovascular diagnostic and treatment options:
- Cerebral and spinal angiograms
- Aneurysm embolization
- Arteriovenous malformation embolization
- Spinal arteriovenous malformation
- Intracranial and extracranial dural arteriovenous malformation
- Head and neck tumor embolization
- Preoperative tumor embolization
- Carotid cavernous fistula embolization
- Vascular injury and carotid blowout embolization
- Carotid stenosis evaluation and treatment with angioplasty, balloon dilatation, stent placement
- Acute stroke treatment with Penumbra suction device, Stentreiver clot removal devices and intra-arterial infusion
- Intracarotid sodium amobarbital for WADA testing in patients with seizures
- Vertebral augmentation (vertebroplasty or kyphoplasty)
- Bilateral inferior petrosal sinus sampling
- Biopsies of the neuroaxis
- Epidural steroid injections for pain management