If your child has or may have autism spectrum disorder (ASD), Cooper can help.
The Children’s Regional Hospital at Cooper provides ASD diagnostic and treatment services for infants, children and adolescents throughout South Jersey and the Delaware Valley.
A Team Approach to ASD
When your child is evaluated and treated for ASD at the Children’s Regional Hospital at Cooper, they will have access to our expert staff, which includes board-certified neurologists and certified pediatric nurse practitioners. We provide collaborative, specialty care in a supportive environment designed to meet your child’s unique needs.
ASD Evaluation and Treatment
Our team will evaluate your child over one or two visits, depending on their needs. An evaluation for ASD includes:
- History taking
- Physical examination (developmental and neurological)
- General developmental assessment
- Administration of the DSM-IV criteria checklist
- Review of past records (if appropriate)
- Lab testing (metabolic and/or genetic, if needed)
- Neuroimaging (if needed)
- Referral to regional school and support services (speech and behavioral therapy)
We may also administer other ASD-specific testing tools such as:
- Gilliam Autism Rating Scale 3
- Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers
After we have fully evaluated your child for ASD, a member of our team will discuss the results with your family and provide recommendations for your child's developmental and behavioral needs as well as information on appropriate services for your child.