As doctors learn more about the inner workings of cancer, they develop promising new cancer therapies that focus on specific types of cancer. Doctors call these treatments targeted cancer therapies because each is designed to attack a certain type of cancer.
If you’ve recently been diagnosed with cancer, you may have many questions. How do these therapies work? How do doctors know which therapies will help you? At MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, we have expertise in the latest targeted cancer therapies. Our compassionate care experts will offer you a range of the most promising treatment options, answering all your questions along the way.
Targeted Cancer Therapy: What You Should Know
Your treatment team will determine whether you might benefit from targeted therapies based on factors such as the type and stage of the disease and where it’s located. Here are some details:
- What is targeted therapy? Targeted therapy uses certain medications or specially created substances to seek out and attack cancer cells to stop them from growing and spreading. Targeted therapies work in a number of different ways. Often, genetic testing can help your doctor learn more about the cancer you have and which targeted therapies could benefit you. Some targeted therapies:
- Attack cancer cells’ genetic structure
- Attack signaling pathways and the way cancer cells grow and spread
- Stop cancer cell replication
- How we use targeted therapies: Your treatment team will tailor treatment recommendations to your specific circumstances. Targeted therapies may be used alone or in combination with other treatments such as surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation therapy. Targeted therapy may be used to boost the effectiveness of other cancer treatments by interfering with cancer cells’ ability to spread and grow.
- How you benefit: Your response to targeted therapies will depend on many factors. As doctors learn more about the makeup of cancers and what can kill them, they develop more therapies that are targeted to attack specific cancers in very specific ways. Depending on the type of cancer you have, your doctor can tell you whether a targeted therapy could benefit you.
Why Choose MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper for Cancer Care?
As a partner with nationally recognized cancer hospital MD Anderson Cancer Center, we offer leading cancer prevention, detection, and treatment services. You’ll benefit from our:
- Leading cancer care expertise: Our specialists are experts in cancer care. We offer a range of advanced technologies, therapies, and procedures for cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- Team approach to treatment: At MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, doctors from different specialties meet weekly to discuss your care. This coordination ensures a treatment plan personalized for your circumstances.
- Access to clinical trials: Our specialists participate in research studies investigating new cancer therapies. That means you may be able to take part in a promising clinical trial as one of your treatment options.
- Full range of support services: A cancer diagnosis can affect many aspects of your life and the lives of your family members. We offer nutrition guidance, behavioral therapy, and many other support services to help you cope with the realities of cancer treatment and recovery. Learn more about our cancer care support services.
To learn more about targeted therapies available at MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper or to schedule an appointment, please call 855.MDA.COOPER (855.632.2667).
Refer a Patient
If you are a doctor who wants to refer a patient to MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper for targeted therapy, please call 855.MDA.COOPER (855.632.2667).