CyberKnife is the world’s first and only radiosurgery system designed to pinpoint and destroy tumors in the body. In many cases, the treatment offers new hope to patients who were considered untreatable or inoperable, who may be looking for an alternative to surgery, or who have been previously exposed to the maximum allowable dose of radiation but still require further treatment.
What is the CyberKnife?
The CyberKnife System is a computer-controlled, robotic radiation delivery system that attacks tumors with high doses of radiation from virtually any direction or angle with sub-millimeter accuracy. With stereotactic radiosurgery there is no incision and no anesthesia. Radiosurgery does not remove the tumor or lesions, but instead, uses the high doses of focused radiation to destroy tumor cells and stop the growth of cancer cells.
At the core of the CyberKnife System is technology that continuously and automatically tracks the tumor’s and patient’s position – including his or her respiratory motion. It uses this information to guide and position the radiation beams to precisely target the tumor, while carefully sparing the surrounding healthy tissue.
Conditions Treated with CyberKnife:
The following conditions can be successfully treated with the CyberKnife:
- Lung cancers
- Prostate cancer
- Liver cancer
- Spine tumors
- Pancreatic cancers
- Other places in the body where radiation treatment is indicated
- Brain tumors
- Kidney cancer
- Colorectal cancer
Benefits of Choosing Cancer Treatment at the South Jersey CyberKnife Center
- CyberKnife is a precise, painless, non-invasive procedure.
- CyberKnife treatment does not require anesthesia or stabilizing frames.
- Treatments are typically completed on an outpatient basis in one to five visits.
- Because there are no incisions, most patients experience minimal recovery time and few, if any, side effects. Patients generally return to their activities almost immediately.
- Because it is so precise, CyberKnife treatment may be an option for patients who have previously exposed to the maximum allowable dose of radiation but would benefit from further treatment.
- The South Jersey CyberKnife Center is conveniently located in Mt. Laurel, NJ just off I-295 and Route 73.
Departments Specializing in CyberKnife
Departments at Cooper where cyberknife is performed:
Physicians Who Specialize in CyberKnife
Our cyberknife specialists include: