Brain and spine surgery require expert precision. At Cooper University Health Care, our surgeons pair a highly specialized skill set with innovative and minimally invasive treatment methods, delivered with a compassionate touch.
Our neurosurgeons work closely with the Cooper Neurological Institute (CNI), located on Cooper’s main campus. We provide comprehensive surgical services for adults and children with injuries or diseases affecting the brain, spine, and peripheral nerves.
Stroke and Aneurysm Care Right in the Emergency Room
Cooper opened a new dedicated Acute Stroke and Neuro Interventional Suite within its Emergency Department. We are the first health system in the nation to offer this unique service, greatly reducing the time our patients have to wait for emergency care.
Our team will be able to treat emergent and non-emergent forms of cerebrovascular disease, including acute stroke of any type, cerebral aneurysms, carotid artery disease, and other serious conditions affecting the brain and spinal cord within minutes of patients arrival. By reducing the time stroke patients have to wait for clot-busting medication or an interventional procedure interventions, we will be able to save brain tissue leading to better clinical outcomes and faster recovery times.
Why Choose Cooper for Neurosurgery Care?
Patients and families in the South Jersey community and beyond choose Cooper for neurosurgery services because of our:
- Expertise: Our neurosurgeons are at the forefront of neurological care. They are board-certified, which means they receive special training to perform a wide range of intricate neurosurgery procedures. As part of the only level 1 trauma center in southern New Jersey, our neurosurgeons are a key part of the trauma team that handles the most complex injuries.
- Team approach: At Cooper, doctors with different specialties work together to come up with a treatment plan that’s unique to you. Your care team may include a neurosurgeon, neurologists, physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians, and other specialists. You can trust that this collaboration will result in a complete picture of your health and care options.
- Specialized disease-specific programs: At the Cooper Neurological Institute, we offer several programs that provide specialized care and ongoing support for specific neurological conditions. These programs include our nationally recognized Stroke Program and our level 4 epilepsy center, a designation that reflects the highest level of epilepsy care. Learn more about the services we offer through our neurology program.
- Innovative treatment options: The neurosurgery team offers innovative neurosurgical treatment options for a range of neurological conditions.
- Cooper is one of only a few hospitals in the United States to offer the revolutionary Gamma Knife® Perfexion™, the most advanced brain cancer treatment option available. The procedure is safe and painless and requires no incisions. Most patients return home the same day and resume normal activities after just a few days.
- Cooper offers deep brain stimulation (DBS), a surgical procedure used to treat a variety of disabling neurological symptomsmost commonly the debilitating symptoms of Parkinson's disease (PD), such as tremor, rigidity, stiffness, slowed movement, and walking problems.
- For seizures not treatable by medication, the neurosurgical team is proficient in vagus nerve stimulator (VNS) surgery that uses a pacemaker-like device (VNS) to help physicians control seizures.
- To treat stroke, aneurysms, and a wide range of brain disorders, Cooper’s team of fellowship-trained endovascular neurosurgeons and neurointerventional radiologists are experts on the latest in the field of neurointerventional surgery. Also known as endovascular surgical neuroradiology, this subspecialty offers minimally invasive surgical options.
- Care coordination: At Cooper, we see patients as active members of their care team. We encourage you to voice any questions or concerns you may have about your care options or how a diagnosis or treatment may affect your life.