When you are suffering from back pain, you want relief, fast. Cooper University Health Care’s multidisciplinary team of spine specialists can help ease your pain and improve your quality of life using the latest treatments and technologies available.
Our experts excel at diagnosing and treating a wide range of spinal conditions, using both surgical and nonsurgical techniques.
Why Choose Cooper for Spine Care?
Patients and families in the South Jersey community and beyond choose Cooper for spine services because of our:
- Expertise: Our board-certified spine specialists have years of experience diagnosing and treating people of all ages with common and complex issues affecting the spine. Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey has named Cooper University Hospital a Blue Distinction® Center for Spine Surgery. This designation recognizes our clinical expertise and excellent care.
- Innovative surgical options: Our team strives to offer patients many treatment options, including nonsurgical solutions. When surgery is necessary, we emphasize approaches, including spinal fusion, that lead to faster recovery and reduced pain after surgery.
- Advanced technology: Our operating rooms are equipped with advanced technologies that provide you with diagnostic and treatment benefits. Our operating table incorporates imaging technology that guides doctors during intricate surgeries. Minimally invasive instruments allow for smaller incisions during surgery with the same effective results.
- Team approach: At Cooper, a team of specialists work together for your benefit. Orthopaedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, neuroradiologists, and physical therapists all collaborate as needed to ensure you receive the highest level of care.
- Responsive care: Our doctors keep the lines of communication open with all patients. We encourage you to reach out with any questions or concerns about how a diagnosis or treatment may affect your life.
Spine and Back Pain Conditions We Treat
Our neurological and orthopaedic experts treat a wide range of back and spine conditions, including:
- Ankylosing spondylitis (an inflammatory arthritis affecting the spine and large joits)
- Cervical fracture (broken neck or spine)
- Cervical strain (whiplash)
- Herniated disc (lumbar disc disease)
- Sciatica (pain originating in the spine that radiates down the back of the leg)
- Scoliosis (curvature of the spine)
- Spinal cord injury
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal)
- Spinal trauma
- Thoracic outlet syndrome (arm, shoulder, and neck pain caused by a compressed nerve or blood vessels)
Innovative Surgical Options
When surgery is necessary, Cooper offers many approaches, to foster quicker recovery and more rapid return to function with less pain. We offer the latest surgical treatment options including:
- Spinal fusion to treat broken vertebrae, spinal deformities, spinal weakness, spinal instability, and chronic low back pain
- Kyphoplasty, a safe and effective way to relieve pain and stabilize spine fractures (vertebral compression fractures), the most common type of osteoporotic fracture.
- Discectomy, an option for a bulging or herniated disc that limits activities and has not responded to conservative treatment, such as medication or physical therapy
- Laminectomy to remove part or all of the vertebral bone (lamina) to relieve compression of the spinal cord or nerve roots resulting from injury, herniated disk, spinal stenosis (narrowing of the canal), or tumors
- Spinal Cord Stimulation through a device that delivers mild electrical stimulation to to nerves along the spinal column to modify or block nerve activity that causes pain sensations
Nonsurgical Spine Services
Our team is dedicated to providing expert care for people affected by spinal conditions and back pain. This care includes offering many nonsurgical treatment options:
- Pain modulation techniques
- Pain management through medication
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Proper posture and body mechanics training
- Therapeutic injections
To learn more about Cooper’s spine services, to schedule an appointment, or to refer a patient, please call 800.8.COOPER (800.826.6737).