Amit R.T. Joshi, MD, FACS
Cooper University Health Care Titles
- General Surgeon
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Titles
- Professor of Surgery
- Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education
- American Board of Surgery (General Surgery)
Cooper University Physician
Amit R.T. Joshi, MD, FACS, is a Professor of Surgery and Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University in Camden, NJ. Until 2021, he was the residency Program Director and Vice-Chair for Academic Affairs for the Department of Surgery at Einstein Healthcare Network in Philadelphia.
At Brown University’s eight-year program in Liberal Medical Education, he received his BA in Music in 1997 and MD (with academic distinction) in 2001. He completed his surgical residency at New York Presbyterian/Cornell and fellowship in minimally invasive surgery at North Shore/Long Island Jewish Hospitals. He is certified by the American Board of Surgery.
A general surgeon at Cooper University Health Care, Dr. Joshi's clinical interests include all of general surgery with a focus on hernia repair (particularly using minimally invasive techniques).
His principal research interests are resident recruitment and curricular development within surgical training. He has authored more than 100 scientific manuscripts and presentations.
He holds leadership positions in several surgical organizations:
- Editor-in-Chief of the American Board of Surgery’s Surgical Council on Resident Education (SCORE)—which is the national curriculum for general surgery
- Board of Directors of the American Board of Surgery. He serves on its audit committee, the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force, and the Strategic Planning Committee.
- Board of Directors of the Association of Program Directors in Surgery (APDS). He serves on the executive committee and has previously led the Education Division.
- Executive Committee, Educational Quality Improvement Project (EQIP) of the APDS
- Board of Governors of the ACS, serving on the Continuing Education workgroup
- Past-President of the Philadelphia chapter of the American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Surgical Education
He recently co-chaired the Planning Committee of the Coalition of Accountability—a multiorganizational (AAMC, NBME, ECFMG, AACOM, AOGME, NBOME, and OPDA) group working to establish a process to review and make recommendations to improve the undergraduate (UME) to graduate (GME) medical education transition across medical training.
Education & Training
|Medical School||Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, RI|
|Internship||Surgery - New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY|
|Residency||Surgery - New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY|
|Fellowship||Minimally Invasive Surgery - North Shore University Hospital/Long Island Jewish Hospital Manhasset/New Hyde Park, NY|
Minimally invasive hernia repair, curricular development, surgical education
- American College of Surgeons
- Association of Program Directors in Surgery
- Association for Academic Surgery
- New Jersey Chapter, American College of Surgeons
- Association for Surgical Education
- Society of University Surgeons
Awards and Honors
- Babette and Peter Stewart Prize, Program in Liberal Medical Education, Brown University School of Medicine - 1997
- Sigma Xi Scientific Honor Society, Brown University School of Medicine - 2001
- Dr. Henry Randall Prize, Department of Surgery, Brown University School of Medicine - 2001
- Doctor of Medicine with academic distinction, Brown University School of Medicine - 2001
- Hassan A. Naama Memorial Resident Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University - 2006
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons - 2009
- Outstanding Educator of the Year Award, Einstein Healthcare Network, Philadelphia, PA - 2016
- Outstanding Clinical Teacher Award, Department of Surgery, Einstein Healthcare Network - 2016
- “Top Reviewer,” Journal of Surgical Education - 2018
- Faculty inductee, Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, Jefferson Medical College - 2019
- “Top Reviewer,” Journal of Graduate Medical Education - 2020
- Outstanding Clinical Teacher Award, Department of Surgery, Einstein Healthcare Network - 2020
- Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education - 2022
Editorial Board, Journal of Surgical Education
Ritter KA, Anand RJ, Beard K, Edelman DA, Huth L, Namm J, Hope W, Allen S, Joshi A, Hildreth A, Tu C, Seavey CN, Vilchez V, Lipman J. Impact of Surgery Program Characteristics on Fate of Non-designated Preliminary Surgery Interns. J Surg Educ. 2020 Nov Dec;77(6):e11-e19. doi: 10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.06.001. Epub 2020 Oct 7. PMID: 33039318.
Cassidy DJ, Mullen JT, Gee DW, Joshi ART, Klingensmith ME, Petrusa E, Phitayakorn R: #SurgEdVidz: Using Social Media to Create a Supplemental Video-Based Surgery Didactic Curriculum J Surg Res. 2020 May 14;S0022-4804(20)30213-4. PMID: 32418641
Terhune KP, Choi J, Green JM, Hildreth AN, Lipman JM, Aarons CB, Heyduk DA, Misra S, Anand RJ, Fise TF, Thorne CB, Edwards GC, Joshi ART, Clark CE, Nfonsam VN, Chahine A, Smink DS, Jarman BT, Harrington DT. Ad astra per aspera (Through Hardships to the Stars): Lessons Learned from the First National Virtual APDS Meeting, 2020. J Surg Educ. 2020 Jul 6:S1931-7204(20)30208-7. PMID: 32646812.
Jarman BT, Borgert AJ, Kallies KJ, Joshi ART, Smink DS, Sarosi GA, Chang L, Green JM, Greenberg JA, Melcher ML, Nfonsam V, James Whiting J: Under-represented Minorities in General Surgery Residency: Analysis of Interviewed Applicants, Residents, and Core Teaching Faculty. J Am Coll Surg. 2020 Mar 7. PMID: 32156654
Joshi ART, Choi J, Terhune K. The Discouraging Inadequacy of Clerkship Grades to Evaluate Medical Students-Are We Ready for Solutions? J Grad Med Educ. 2020 Apr;12(2):150-152. PMID: 32322346
Salami AC, Obaid T, Nweze NJ, Deleon M, Force L, Gorgun E, Wexner S, Joshi ART: Neoadjuvant Chemo-radiation versus Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Locally Advanced Adenocarcinoma of the Rectosigmoid junction. Colorectal Dis. 2019 Nov 29. PMID: 31782601
Cassaro S, Goldman-Mellor S, Hope WW, Jarman BT, Johna S, Joshi ART, Kaufman T, Grannan KJ: Mid-year Medical Knowledge Milestones and ABSITE Scores in First-Year Surgery Residents. J Surg Educ. 2019 Sep 28. PMID: 31575488
Terhune KP, Joshi ART, Choi J: Career Advancement in Surgical Education. Surgery. 2019 Oct 14. PMID: 31623854
Jarman BT, Kallies KJ, Joshi ART, Smink DS, Sarosi GA, Chang L, Green JM, Greenberg JA, Melcher ML, Nfonsam V, Ramirez LD, Borgert AJ, Whiting J: Under-represented Minorities are Under-represented Among General Surgery Applicants Selected to Interview. J Surg Edu. 2019 Jun 5. PMID: 31175064
Onufer EJ, Trolard A, Hickey M, Lyons W, Klingensmith ME, Malangoni MA, Joshi ART: SCORE – Leveling the Playing Field for Surgical Training Programs. J Surg Edu. Nov/Dec, 2019, 76(6). PMID: 31395521
Joshi ART, Choi J, Terhune K: ERAS and the NRMP and Their Roles in Residency Recruitment—a Primer for Surgical Program Directors. J Surg Edu. 2019 Apr 4. PMID: 30956085