Naomi Lawrence, MD
Cooper University Health Care Titles
- Head, Division of Dermatology, Section of Procedural Dermatology
- Dermatologic Surgeon
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Titles
- Professor of Medicine
Cooper University Physician
I always try to not only understand each patient’s physical problem, but also how it affects their life and what’s important to them, what their priorities are. I treat each person individually and as a whole person, so it’s only by getting this bigger picture that I feel I can best meet an individual’s needs.
Whether it’s a disease like cancer or a cosmetic concern, I strive to teach and empower patients to better understand their health. I have a very interactive communication style; I’ll explain something, ask if they understood the explanation, and get them to explain it back to me so I’m sure they got it. I speak to my patients conversationally, using plain language, and my patients often tell me they understand their health situation much better after we’ve talked. I also strive to listen as much—or more than—I speak, encouraging patients to ask questions and voice their concerns.
We also provide written materials and videos for pre- and post-op patient education. We try to approach patient education in as many ways as possible because people absorb information differently. Overall, we’ve found that this has decreased the number of phone calls we receive since patients have fewer questions. Plus, the better patients understand how to take care of a wound, for example, the better they tend to do in general.
I encourage my patients to be involved in all aspects of their care. The concept today is shared decision-making, but patients must have good health literacy in order to do that. So that’s why I emphasize teaching, and getting a sense of their priorities.
I’m generally conservative in my approach to treatment, I stay up on the latest advances and medical literature, and I’m definitely approachable and willing to discuss new things. Overall, I treat each patient as if they’re family, and wouldn’t recommend anything I wouldn’t do for myself or my own family.
Education & Training
|Medical School||Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA|
|Internship||Dermatology - Tulane Medical Center Hospital & Clinic, New Orleans, LA|
|Residency||Dermatology - Tulane Medical Center Hospital & Clinic, New Orleans, LA|
|Fellowship||Dermatopathology - University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX|
|Fellowship||Mohs Cutaneous Oncology Surgery - Willis Cottel, MD, Dallas, TX|
Procedural dermatology, Mohs micrographic surgery, laser skin surgery, varicose vein procedures, liposuction, dermabrasion, cryosurgery, tissue fillers, platelet rich plasma (PRP) treatment for hair loss
- American Academy of Dermatology
American Society of Dermatologic Surgery
- Board of Directors, Executive Committee, ASDS and ASDSA - current
- Immediate Past President 2016-2017
- President 2015-2016
- President Elect 2014-2015
- Vice President 2013-2014
- Secretary 2003-2007
- Officers and Board of Directors Work Group chair 2005-2006
- Board of Directors 1999-2002
American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association - Skin cancer patient experience task force
- American Society of Mohs Micrographic Surgery, Fellow
- Tromovitch Award Committee 2009- 2010
- Fellowship Training Committee 2009-present
- Industry Liaison Committee 2006-2009
- Communications and Public Relations Committee 1998-2004
- American Society of Cosmetic Surgery
- Women’s Dermatologic Society
- Association of Academic Dermatologic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- The American Board of Dermatology, Inc. (2005)
- Association of Professors of Dermatology
Awards and Honors
- Association of Surgical Faculty 2007
- ASDS Presidential Citation Award 2007
- Cutting Edge Research Grant(2001, 2004, 2008, 2010)
- Honorary Member Iowa Dermatologic Society
- American Dermatologic Association – Elected - 2003
- Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Achievement
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society; junior and senior year; Secretary - Treasurer of Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Beta Kappa, Tulane University
- Dr. Lawrence has been listed in Philadelphia magazine, New Jersey magazine and South Jersey magazine as a “Top Doc” from 1999 from present. She has been interviewed by USA Today, Health on the Run, Dermatology Times, Skin and Allergy News, Women’s World, Philadelphia Inquirer, Self Magazine, Courier Post, Elle Magazine, Cosmetic Surgery Times, Central Record, and many other national publications.
Multimedia Editor, Dermatologic Surgery Journal, 2018-present
Clinical research editor, Rowan medical school 2018 - present
Assistant Editor, Dermatologic Surgery Journal, 2002-present
Associate Editor, Dialogues in Dermatology 2002-2010
Guest Editor, Dermatologic Surgery Special Issue: Best Reconstructive Techniques in Dermatologic Surgery, 2015
Assistant Editor, Case Report and Surgical Gems, Dermatologic Surgery Journal, 2001-2003
Editor, Dermatologic Surgery Journal, special liposuction edition, 1996-1997
Dr. Lawrence has published medical studies in the leading journals of dermatology and has presented papers at major conferences in her field. She is the author of a book on skin rejuvenation and dermatologic surgery. She has written nearly 100 chapters and articles on liposuction, chemical peeling, skin cancer, reconstruction, laser resurfacing, and patient safety.
Grants and Research
- FDA Clinical Trials
-A Phase III, Open-label, multicenter study to assess the long-term safety of repeat administrations of Reloxin in the treatment of glabellar lines. Sponsor, Medicis. Completed 2004-2009
Assessment of bacterial organisms colonizing Mohs surgical wounds healing by second intention. Ashley Decker, MD, Michael Renzi, MD, Naomi Lawrence, MD
A prospective comparison of polypropylene suture versus cyanoacrylate tissue adhesive for epidermal closure of non-facial surgical wounds. Christi Regula, MD Naomi Lawrence MD, Ryan Johnson, MD, Min Deng, MD, Ashley Decker MD.
Microneedling split body study for the treatment striae. Naomi Lawrence, MD, Ashely Decker, MD, Matthew Belcher, MD
Injection practice in cosmetic dermatology and plastic surgery offices. Naomi Lawrence, MD, Matthew Belcher, MD