Chondrosarcoma is a type of cancer that is composed of cartilage cells. Chondrosarcoma is a malignant type of bone cancer that can arise spontaneously or from long-standing cartilage lesions.
At the Orthopaedic Oncology Center at MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, our cancer care specialists are highly skilled at treating chondrosarcoma. We provide every patient with a personalized treatment plan as well as numerous resources to support you during cancer treatment and recovery.
Why Choose MD Anderson at Cooper for Orthopaedic Oncology Care?
When you choose MD Anderson at Cooper for chondrosarcoma care, you benefit from our partnership with one of the nation’s top hospitals for cancer care, MD Anderson Cancer Center. Our program offers you:
- Expertise: Because chondrosarcoma is rare, it’s important that you see a medical team that treats a large number of patients with a similar condition. Our cancer care team has extensive training and experience in this highly specialized field. You can trust we’ll offer you an accurate diagnosis and the most effective treatment plan for you.
- Personalized care: Our surgeons are intimately involved in every aspect of your care, and we treat every patient like family. Our surgeons go above and beyond to ensure they’re available when you need an expert opinion.
- Team approach to treatment: We provide individualized care, tailoring treatment to your specific needs and circumstances. At MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, a multidisciplinary team of experts — including orthopaedic surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, and radiation oncologists — will meet weekly to discuss your case. They’ll come up with a treatment plan that’s best for you.
- Access to clinical trials: With the backing of MD Anderson Cancer Center, one of the nation’s pioneers in medical oncology research and development, our doctors are active in a wide variety of clinical trials. All patients at MD Anderson at Cooper are candidates for promising, cutting-edge treatment options that may not be available anywhere else in the region.
- Full range of support services: We recognize the emotional and psychological toll that cancer can take on your life. To support you during cancer treatment and recovery, we offer nutrition guidance, behavioral therapy, and rehabilitation services after surgery. Read about our extensive cancer care support services.
Symptoms of Chondrosarcoma
Symptoms can vary based on where the cancer develops. In general, symptoms that don’t go away (or get worse) over a period of weeks should be evaluated by your doctor. Common symptoms of chondrosarcoma include:
- Large mass on the affected bone
- Feeling of pressure around the mass
- Pain that is usually worse at night, unrelated to activity, and gets gradually worse over a long period of time
Treatment for Chondrosarcoma
At MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, our doctors work together to recommend a treatment plan that’s unique to you, based on multiple factors, including:
- Your age and overall health
- Disease stage
- How you tolerate specific medications, procedures, or therapies
- Your preferences and goals
We offer a range of innovative treatment options for chondrosarcoma. Your doctor may discuss how one treatment or a combination of therapies could benefit you. These treatments could include:
- Radiation therapy
- Rehabilitation, including physical therapy and occupational therapy
- Close monitoring and follow-up care to manage your treatment response and ongoing care needs
To learn more about the chondrosarcoma services available at MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper or to schedule an appointment, please call 856.361.1754.
Refer a Patient
If you are a doctor who wants to refer a patient to MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper for chondrosarcoma treatment, please call 856.361.1754.