Ewing’s sarcoma can occur in any bone or soft tissue. It’s most often found in the long bones of the thigh, shin, or upper arm. Though it’s a rare condition, Ewing’s sarcoma is the second most common malignant bone tumor in children and adolescents. If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with Ewing sarcoma, you likely have questions about what this means.
At the Orthopaedic Oncology Center at MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, our extensive experience treating Ewing’s sarcoma and other rare tumors means we’ll find the best treatment plan for you. You can trust we’ll provide the personalized care this condition requires, treating you with the dignity you deserve.
Why Choose MD Anderson Cooper for Orthopaedic Oncology Care?
When you choose MD Anderson Cooper for orthopaedic oncology care, you benefit from our partnership with one of the nation’s top hospitals for cancer care, MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. Our program offers you:
- Experience: Because Ewing’s sarcoma is so rare, you’ll want to see doctors who have a lot of experience treating this condition. Our specialists perform more than 600 surgeries every year, more than any other center in the region. You can trust us to find the most effective treatment for your specific circumstances.
- Personalized care: Our surgeons have devoted their careers to treating patients like you, and they’re closely involved in every aspect of your care. We treat every patient like family.
- Team approach to treatment: We provide individualized care, structuring your treatment around your unique needs. Our specialists, including orthopaedic oncologists, musculoskeletal radiologists, nurses, and other professionals, meet weekly to weigh in on your care. This collaborative approach leads to the very best treatment approach for you.
- Advanced diagnostic capabilities: We have access to many advanced diagnostic tests that accurately detect Ewing’s sarcoma. Because Ewing’s sarcoma is difficult to distinguish from other similar tumors, your doctor may ask you to undergo more than one imaging scan. A combination of MRI and bone scans as well as blood tests and genetic tests can provide a precise diagnosis.
- Access to clinical trials: With the backing of MD Anderson Cancer Center, one of the nation’s pioneers in medical oncology research and development, our doctors are active in a wide variety of clinical trials. All patients at MD Anderson Cooper are candidates for promising, cutting-edge treatment options that may not be available anywhere else in the region.
- Comprehensive follow-up care: Because of the nature of this disease and the therapies used to treat it, it’s important for your doctor to monitor you closely and long term. Our doctors will work with you to manage your care as long as necessary. Unique to our practice, we make sure an attending surgeon is always on call to help you with any emergencies or concerns that may come up during off hours.
- Full range of support services: We offer a full range of support resources to help you manage the challenges cancer presents, including physical therapy to help ease your recovery.
Symptoms of Ewing’s Sarcoma
Symptoms will vary, depending on tumor location. Because the symptoms of Ewing’s sarcoma may resemble other medical problems, you should always consult your doctor if you’re experiencing symptoms that concern you.
Some common symptoms of Ewing’s sarcoma include:
- Pain around the tumor site
- Swelling and/or redness around the tumor site
- Unintended weight loss or decreased appetite
- Fatigue, or feeling extremely tired for no apparent reason
- Numbness or tingling, related to pressure on a nerve from the tumor
Treatment for Ewing’s Sarcoma
At MD Anderson Cooper, our doctors work together to recommend a treatment plan that’s unique to you, based on multiple factors, including:
- Your age and overall health
- Disease stage
- How you tolerate specific medications, procedures, or therapies
- Your preferences and goals
We offer a range of innovative treatment options for Ewing’s sarcoma. Your doctor may discuss how one treatment or a combination of therapies could benefit you. These treatments could include:
- Radiation therapy
- Rehabilitation, including physical therapy and occupational therapy
- Close monitoring and follow-up care to manage your treatment response and ongoing care needs
To learn more about the Ewing’s sarcoma services available at MD Anderson Cooper or to schedule an appointment, please call 856.361.1754.
Refer a Patient
If you are a doctor who wants to refer a patient to MD Anderson Cooper for Ewing’s sarcoma treatment, please call 856.361.1754.