Headaches vary greatly in what causes them, how often they occur, and how much pain they cause. For some people, chronic headaches have a significant impact on their quality of life.
The Headache Program at the Cooper Neurological Institute offers comprehensive neurological evaluation and treatment for migraines, tension headaches, and other types of headaches. With medical expertise and a compassionate touch, we work with patients to find the most effective treatment for their unique needs.
Why Choose Cooper for Headache Care?
Patients and families in the South Jersey community and beyond choose Cooper for headache treatment because of our:
- Expertise: At the Cooper Neurological Institute, our board-certified neurologists have years of experience treating patients like you. Doctors in our headache program receive special training in diagnosing and treating many different types of headaches. You can trust you’re in excellent hands with us. Learn more about the Cooper Neurological Institute.
- Team approach: At Cooper, a team of specialists with different areas of expertise will work together to develop treatment recommendations for you. As we utilize the unique skills of each of these experts, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible care.
- Innovative treatment options: Our neurologists are trained in the latest treatments for headaches and migraines, including Botox® (botulinum toxin). The FDA has approved Botox® to prevent and treat chronic migraines in adults when other treatment options do not provide relief.
- Holistic care options: Our approach to treating headaches includes holistic treatment options beyond medications. Relieving stress or changing your diet, exercise, or sleep habits could improve your headache symptoms or frequency. We will offer suggestions to address these possibilities as part of your care.
Headache Conditions We Treat
There are a number of conditions that can cause headaches, including disorders of the neck, eyes, brain, jaw, or teeth. Headaches that result from an underlying medical condition are classified as secondary headaches. When a headache itself is the main medical problem, doctors classify it as a primary headache.
We offer comprehensive evaluation and treatment services to manage a full range of headache conditions in children and adults, including:
- Migraines, tension headaches, trigeminal autonomic cephalgias, hemicrania continua, and other primary headache disorders
- Cephalic neuralgias
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension
- Intracranial hypotension
- Post-traumatic headaches
- Medication overuse headaches
In addition to the holistic approaches described above, your doctor may recommend one or more of these treatment strategies:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Nerve blocks
- Botox injections