The expert breast surgeons at MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper are skilled in the latest surgical techniques. One breast cancer treatment option your doctor might recommend is a skin-sparing mastectomy. Because our surgeons work so closely together, you can feel confident your care team will do everything possible to provide effective, compassionate treatment with the best cosmetic result.
Skin-Sparing Mastectomy: What You Should Know
Skin-sparing mastectomy is a breast cancer surgery where a surgeon removes all of the breast tissue as well as the nipple and areola. Here’s what you should know:
- What this procedure entails: Unlike a nipple-sparing approach (during which the nipple is not removed), this type of mastectomy requires the removal of the entire nipple in addition to breast tissue. In this procedure, a surgeon:
- Makes an incision on the side of the breast or around the edge of the areola
- Removes all of the breast tissue under the skin
- Removes the entire nipple and areola
- Leaves the outer skin of the breast intact
- Who this treatment might benefit: This surgical approach may benefit women with cancer cells located near the nipple. In this case, your doctor will need to remove the nipple to ensure your best chance at treatment success.
- Breast reconstruction options: Our breast surgeons work closely with our plastic surgeons to coordinate reconstruction. This surgical technique can accommodate a variety of approaches, including implant- or tissue-based breast reconstruction. Our surgeons can often combine mastectomy and reconstruction surgeries. Learn more about our breast reconstruction options.
- Points to note: To achieve the look of a new “nipple,” some women choose to undergo nipple reconstruction near the end of their breast cancer treatment. Ask your doctor about how a nipple tattoo or a nipple graft may benefit you.
Why Choose MD Anderson at Cooper for Breast Cancer Care?
As a partner with top cancer hospital MD Anderson Cancer Center, our breast cancer team offers the same advanced treatment options and clinical protocols offered at MD Anderson in Houston. You can expect:
- Breast cancer care expertise: Over the past decade, clinical advances have led to more effective breast cancer treatments. Our specialists have extensive experience treating breast cancer with complex surgical techniques, offering a better chance at treatment success.
- Convenience: Because we have offices located throughout South Jersey, you can find a center with a location and hours that work best for your schedule.
- Team approach to breast cancer care: Our team of specialists coordinates to provide comprehensive breast cancer care. For women who choose breast reconstruction, our surgeons coordinate treatments with reconstructive care. Find out more about the Janet Knowles Breast Cancer Center at MD Anderson at Cooper.
- Access to clinical trials: Our specialists are at the forefront of breast cancer research. That means you may have the chance to be a part of a promising clinical trial as part of your treatment.
- Full range of support services: We offer nutrition, behavioral medicine, as well as other support services to help you cope with cancer diagnosis and treatment. If you need a mastectomy as part of your treatment, we offer physical therapy and positive emotional support to help you achieve a complete recovery. Learn more about our cancer care support services.
To learn more about skin-sparing mastectomy or other breast surgeries available at MD Anderson at Cooper or to schedule an appointment, please call 855.MDA.COOPER (855.632.2667).
Refer a Patient
If you are a doctor who wants to refer a patient to MD Anderson at Cooper for a skin-sparing mastectomy, please call 855.MDA.COOPER (855.632.2667).