Richard L. Fischer, MD, FACOG
Cooper University Health Care Titles
- Head, Division of Maternal/Fetal Medicine
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Titles
- Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology (Obstetrics & Gynecology - General)
- American Board of Obstetric & Gynecology (Maternal-Fetal Medicine)
Cooper University Physician
Dr. Fischer has been a physician at Cooper for more than 30 years, and leads the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, which is a sub-specialty of OB/GYN that deals with high-risk pregnancies.
Dr. Fischer practices evidence-based medicine, combining knowledge obtained from the medical literature with many years of clinical experience. He enjoys relating to his pregnant patients with kindness, compassion, and humor.
Dr. Fischer has been listed as a Top Doc in various New Jersey and Philadelphia magazines more than 30 times. He is a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, teaching both residents and medical students. He has published more than 40 original articles, case reports, letters to the editor and chapters in both peer-reviewed journals and textbooks. He has lectured locally and regionally more than 100 times on various topics in Maternal-Fetal Medicine. He marvels at the complexities of clinical medicine, and strives to continue to learn every day through his reading of the medical literature and interactions with patients.
Cooper Maternal Fetal Medicine at JFK
Cooper Maternal Fetal Medicine at Princeton
Cooper Women's Health at Sewell
Cooper Maternal Fetal Medicine at Camden
Ripa Center for Women's Health and Wellness at Cooper
Education & Training
|Medical School||University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA|
|Internship||Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA|
|Residency||Obstetrics and Gynecology - Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA|
|Fellowship||Maternal Fetal Medicine - Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA|
Fetal ultrasound, prenatal diagnosis
- Fellow, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- Philadelphia Perinatal Society
- Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia
- New Jersey Maternal-Fetal Medicine Society
Awards and Honors
- SJ Magazine "Top Docs" - 2007, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016-2018, 2020
- Inside Jersey Magazine "Top Docs" - 2014-2018
- New Jersey Monthly Magazine "Top Docs" - 2006, 2007, 2009-2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Philadelphia Magazine "Top Docs" - 2000, 2002, 2017-2023
- Castle Connolly "Top Docs" - 2019
- Obstetrics and Gynecology - Top 10% of all peer reviewers – 2002, 2004–2014, 2016–2019
- Resident Teaching Award – 1990, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2014
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society - 2006
Fischer R, Machac N, Hunter K, Adriance L. A comparison of induction of labor success rates over three time periods in 20 years at a single academic tertiary care center: Are we improving vaginal delivery rates? J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2018;31:907-913. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14767058.2017.1301422 (Epub ahead of print).
Fischer RL, Breech presentation. Medscape: Obstetrics, 2016. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/262159-overview
Fischer RL, Parikh L, Hansen C, Hunter KM. Cervical dilatation thresholds for initiation of group B streptococcus antibiotic prophylaxis in women with spontaneous preterm labor. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2014;Nov 5:1-6 (Epub ahead of print).
Fischer RL, Sveinbjornsson G, Hansen C. Cervical sonography in pregnant women with a prior cone biopsy or loop electrosurgical excision procedure. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2010;613-7.
Fischer RL, Hansen C, Hunter RL, Veloski JJ. Does physician attire influence patient satisfaction in an outpatient obstetrics and gynecology setting? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007;196:186.e1-186.e5.