After you have weight-loss surgery at the Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Center, our surgeons, advanced practice nurses, nutritionists, and other specialists provide comprehensive follow-up care for the rest of your life. This personalized care and support helps you successfully lose weight and keep it off.
Bariatric Surgery Follow-Up Care
Weight-loss surgery is a tool that enables you to lose a large amount of weight safely and effectively. At Cooper University Health Care, our bariatric team believes that surgery is just the start of your weight-loss journey. This belief is why our experts maintain a strong long-term relationship with our patients, offering support at every step of the journey.
Some of the many features of our follow-up care include:
- Regular check-ups: After bariatric surgery, our physicians see you every one to three months for the first year. Beyond that, you come in every six to 12 months so we can monitor your progress and answer any questions about your weight loss and overall health.
- Nutritional consultations: Our nutritionists can help you develop eating plans unique to your needs and preferences. People who have weight-loss surgery typically need to eat smaller, more frequent meals that are rich in protein and low in processed carbohydrates. You may also need nutritional supplements such as iron, calcium, and vitamin B12.
- Tailored exercise plans: Our doctors and physical therapists can design a personalized exercise plan that meets your physical abilities and fitness level. Outlaw Fitness, a local gym, also provides discounted rates for weight-loss surgery patients.
- One-on-one counseling: Therapists are available to help you navigate difficult emotions about weight loss, changes in your personal relationships, or concerns about reaching your goals.
- Monthly support group meetings: Our center hosts monthly support group meetings where you can share common experiences with other weight-loss patients. We frequently invite guest speakers to offer weight-loss tips and techniques. Meetings cover topics such as nutrition, dining out, emotional eating, dietary supplements, and physical activity.
- Around-the-clock availability: A physician or advanced practice nurse is available 24/7 to answer your questions and address your concerns. We encourage our patients to call any time – whether they are experiencing a health problem or just need someone to listen. Our team is available to help any way we can.
Refer a Patient
If you are a doctor who wants to refer a patient to Cooper, please call 856.673.4500.