The Cooper Bone and Joint Institute Hand Therapy Program provides comprehensive care for your hand injuries. Our hand care starts with our physicians and surgeons and, when rehabilitation is needed, you are referred for treatment to our certified hand therapy specialists.
Hand therapy focuses on rehabilitating patients with various conditions specifically affecting the hand and upper extremity. Treatment is provided by a certified hand therapist (CHT) who has specialized training in enabling patients to quickly and safely return to a productive lifestyle.
Our Hand Therapy Program offers a variety of treatment options, from non-operative rehabilitation to postoperative rehabilitation for injuries ranging from common conditions to complex traumas of the hand and arm.
Therapy of the hand and upper extremity may include the following:
- Exercises for the hand and arm
- Heat and cold and other physical modalities
- Soft tissue and scar mobilization
- Custom hand and arm orthoses (splints)
- Edema (swelling) treatment
- Customized home programs
- A specialized, comprehensive evaluation by the certified hand therapist relating to any upper extremity injury, individualized with a treatment plan and follow-up re-evaluation of progress.
- Orthotic fabrication for prevention or correction of injury or disease.
- Patient education regarding their condition or injury.
Common diagnoses and problems seen by a certified hand therapist include:
- Fractures of the forearm, wrist and hand
- Repetitive strain Injury
- Nerve compression
- Post-surgery care for traumatic injuries or after elective procedures