Lung cancer forms when cells in your lungs mutate and multiply uncontrollably. While a lung cancer diagnosis is serious, every case is unique — and doctors make advances in lung cancer detection and treatment every single day.
At the Lung Cancer Center at MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, our skilled specialists work together to find the most effective treatment plan for you.
Why Choose MD Anderson Cooper for Lung Cancer Care?
As a partner with the nation’s leading cancer hospital MD Anderson Cancer Center, we offer the people of South Jersey a full range of comprehensive lung cancer detection and treatment services. You benefit from our:
- Leading cancer care expertise: Our lung cancer team members are experts in lung cancer diagnosis and treatment. We offer you the most promising therapies and surgery techniques to find lung cancer earlier and treat it more effectively. Learn more about our lung cancer care.
- Advanced diagnostic capabilities: Accurate diagnosis is a crucial part of deciding on a treatment plan. We use advanced imaging and biopsy technologies such as PET-CT, MRI, and endobronchial ultrasound to accurately stage lung cancer and find the best treatment for you.
- Team approach to treatment: At MD Anderson Cooper, teams of cancer experts work together to develop a personalized treatment plan just for you.
- Dedicated nurse navigator: Our skilled and compassionate nurse navigator will answer your questions and help you schedule appointments.
- Full range of support services: Whatever challenges arise during your treatment, we have support services to help you through them. Find out how you can benefit from our cancer care support services.
Lung Cancer Symptoms
Most lung cancers are diagnosed in advanced stages. That’s because lung cancer may not cause any symptoms in its early stages, until it spreads. Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer. However, environmental exposure, including exposure to radon and asbestos, can also increase risk for developing lung cancer.
Reach out to your doctor if you notice any of these common lung cancer signs:
- A cough that won’t go away, especially if you cough up blood
- Shortness of breath or wheezing or hoarseness
- Constant chest pain
- Repeated problems with pneumonia or bronchitis
- Loss of appetite
- Unexplained weight loss or fatigue
MD Anderson Cooper offers lung cancer screening to detect the disease at its earliest stage, when treatment is most effective. Find out more about our lung cancer screening program.
Lung Cancer Treatment
Treatment for lung cancer is individualized, meaning your doctor will recommend specific treatments that take into account:
- The type of cancer, such as small cell or non-small cell lung cancer
- The cancer stage
- Your overall health
- Your personal goals
Lung cancer treatment may require one therapy (or procedure) or a combination of treatments. At MD Anderson Cooper, our lung cancer specialists use a variety of options to effectively treat lung cancer and improve treatment outcomes:
- Radiation therapy, including CyberKnife® Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Targeted therapies that treat specific types of lung cancer
To learn more about the lung cancer services available at MD Anderson Cooper or to schedule an appointment, please call 855.MDA.COOPER.
Refer a Patient
If you are a doctor who wants to refer a patient to MD Anderson Cooper for lung cancer treatment, please call 855.MDA.COOPER.