When cancer cells grow abnormally in your pancreas, doctors call it pancreatic cancer. Our doctors have extensive experience diagnosing and treating patients with pancreatic cancer.
At MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, our cancer specialists use the most effective diagnostic methods and the latest research to determine the best treatment plan for you. We also offer a wide network of support services, so you won’t feel alone as you fight this disease.
Why Choose MD Anderson Cooper for Pancreatic Cancer Care?
Our partnership with one of the nation’s top cancer hospitals, MD Anderson Cancer Center, means you’ll benefit from our:
- Cancer care experience: We offer innovative therapies and treatments, including the most effective chemotherapy medicines. They also perform complex pancreatic cancer surgeries using less invasive, laparoscopic techniques whenever possible.
- Expertise: Our doctors treat a large number of patients with pancreatic cancer. This depth of experience has prepared our specialists to perform complex surgeries with precision, leading to more successful treatment and fewer complications. The Leapfrog Group has identified our center as a high performer because of our excellent outcomes.
- Team approach to treatment: Our specialists work together in a team environment, meeting weekly to plan your care. Because pancreatic cancer can be aggressive, this coordination is crucial for effective cancer treatment and management.
- Access to clinical trials: Our doctors care deeply about furthering cancer care research. Often, we can offer you promising ongoing clinical trials as a treatment option.
- Enhanced recovery protocols: If your doctor recommends surgery, our surgical team will use special protocols to ease your recovery. That translates to less fasting before surgery as well as better pain management afterward.
- Full range of support services: Our gastrointestinal cancer nurse navigators begin to guide you right after your diagnosis. They are just one of the many resources we offer to support you during your care, including nutrition counseling and palliative care services. Read more about our many cancer care support services.
Pancreatic Cancer Symptoms
Most symptoms of pancreatic cancer can also be caused by routine health conditions. Symptoms that won’t go away (or get worse over time) should always be evaluated by a doctor you trust.
Pancreatic cancer could cause:
- Jaundice, or yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Pain around your belly or back
- Swollen abdomen (bloating)
- Weight loss, or general loss of appetite
- Weakness or fatigue
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diabetes, in rare instances
Pancreatic Cancer Treatment
Your treatment team will decide which pancreatic cancer therapy (or combination of therapies) are best for your specific circumstances. They will consider:
- How many tumors are in your pancreas
- The size and location of those tumors
- Whether the cancer has spread outside your pancreas
- Your general health
Your doctor will listen to any concerns you may have about certain treatments or their possible side effects before determining next steps.
Surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy are some of the most effective ways doctors treat pancreatic cancer today. Your doctor may recommend chemotherapy or radiation therapy before surgery to give you the best chance at successful treatment.
To learn more about the pancreatic cancer services available at MD Anderson Cooper or to schedule an appointment, please call 855.MDA.COOPER (855.632.2667).
Refer a Patient
If you are a doctor who wants to refer a pancreatic cancer patient to MD Anderson Cooper, please call 855.MDA.COOPER (855.632.2667).