At MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, our fellowship-trained surgical oncologists have extensive experience treating a full range of cancerous tumors. Our specialists work as a team to provide you with personalized care and support before, during, and after surgery.
Why Choose MD Anderson Cooper for Surgical Oncology Care?
As a partner with MD Anderson Cancer Center – the nation’s leading cancer center – we offer the same advanced treatment options available at MD Anderson in Houston, Texas. This partnership ensures that you receive the best possible care.
Our surgical program features:
- Large volume of complex procedures: Research shows that surgeons who often perform a given operation have better patient outcomes than surgeons who rarely perform the same procedure. High-volume, complex procedures at MD Anderson Cooper include:
- Liver resection, the removal of a portion of the liver containing cancerous tumors
- Gastrectomy, the removal of part or all of the stomach to treat stomach cancer
- Esophagectomy, the removal of all or part of the esophagus to manage esophageal cancer
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy (the Whipple procedure), the removal a portion of the pancreas, part of the small intestine, bile duct, and gallbladder for pancreatic cancer
- Pelvic lymph node dissections, the removal of cancerous lymph nodes in the pelvic area
- Multidisciplinary approach: Because cancers are often complex, you may need several different treatments. As part of our multidisciplinary approach to care, our surgical oncologists work with medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, and other cancer specialists. Together, we provide an accurate diagnosis and a personalized treatment plan.
- Comprehensive care throughout the surgical process: Our specialists provide you with the support and care you need at every step:
- Presurgery care starts with personalized education to help you understand how your procedure relates to your overall treatment plan.
- During surgery, our anesthesiologists, surgical oncologists, operating room nurses, and other specialists work as a team to perform your procedure with the utmost attention to detail.
- After surgery, our doctors and nurse practitioners closely monitor your health and recovery. They also review your case with other cancer specialists to plan the next steps in your care. Our physical therapists help you get out of the hospital bed and start moving, accelerating your recovery.
- Excellent patient experiences: Our highly skilled and compassionate care combines with our exceptional facilities to provide an outstanding patient experience. Our updated facilities include a family and caregiver waiting area, newly designed recovery rooms, and minimally invasive operating rooms.
The Latest Minimally Invasive Technologies
In addition to open surgical techniques, which require larger incisions, our oncology surgeons use minimally invasive approaches, including:
- Laparoscopic surgery, which involves making several small incisions in the abdomen or pelvic area through which they pass surgical tools. These tools include a laparoscope, a tube with a tiny camera on its tip to view the procedure.
- The da Vinci robotic surgery system, comprised of miniaturized instruments and a high-definition, 3-D camera mounted on separate robotic arms. This system improves surgical range of motion and precision and provides complete visualization of the surgical area.
We use minimally invasive approaches whenever possible for the following cancers:
- Gynecologic, including ovarian, cervical, and uterine
The smaller incisions from minimally invasive procedures often have multiple benefits:
- Faster healing
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker return to normal activities
- Less scarring
To learn more about surgical oncology at MD Anderson Cooper or to schedule an appointment, please call 855.MDA.COOPER (855.632.2667).
Refer a Patient
If you are a doctor who wants to refer a patient to MD Anderson Cooper for surgery, please call 855.MDA.COOPER (855.632.2667).