Karthik Madhavan, MD, FAANS
Dr. Madhavan is a fellowship-trained complex deformity and minimally invasive spine surgeon. He completed his residency at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital program and also did an in-folded two-year spine fellowship at the University of Miami.
Dr. Madhavan specializes in the management of various spine pathologies, ranging from disc herniations to spine trauma and spinal cord injuries to complex adult deformities. His primary focus lies in minimally invasive spine surgery techniques such as Transforaminal Interbody Fusion, Oblique Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion, minimally invasive Sacro-Iliac joint fusion, endoscopic spine surgeries, minimally invasive Pars repair for athletes, and artificial disc replacements.
Furthermore, Dr. Madhavan has a passion for research and has an impressive publication record, with over 50 peer-reviewed manuscripts and approximately 80 national meeting presentations. He has received several national-level awards, including the Stewart Dunsker Award from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS), the Charles Kuntz Award from the Spine Section, the "20 under 40 Spine Like" award from the North American Spine Society (NASS), and the Sal Vanni Inspirational Award from the University of Miami. He has a particular interest in teaching minimally invasive spine surgeries and has served as the chairman of the NASS annual meeting cadaver lab. Currently, his interests include the development of Artificial Intelligence applications in spine surgery, robotics, and the management of big data in the field of spine surgery.
Dr. Madhavan actively participates in academic spine societies, such as NASS, where he serves as the co-chairman of the Surgical Engineering Committee, a founding member of the Spinal Cord Injury Committee, and a member of the Minimally Invasive Procedure Committee. He is also involved with AANS as an active member of the Young Neurosurgeons Committee. Additionally, he holds the role of sub-editor at World Neurosurgery and serves as a reviewer for several prestigious journals, including JNS-Spine, The Spine Journal, NASSJ, Operative Neurosurgery, and Neurosurgery (the "Red Journal).
Education & Training
|Medical School||BM Patil Medical School, Karnataka, India|
|Internship||Rotating - BM Patil Medical School, Karnata, India|
|Residency||Neurosurgery - University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL|
|Fellowship||Spine Neurosurgery - University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL|
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- North American Spine Society
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Society of Lateral Access Surgery
- American Association of South Asian Neurosurgeons
Awards and Honors
- “Spineline’s 20 under 40” - North American Spine Society, 2019
- Charles Kuntz Scholar Award; Preoperative Narcotic Consumption - Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves Spine Summit, 2018
- Stewart B. Dunsker, MD Award - American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting, 2017
- Sal Vanni Inspirational Award - Department of Neurosurgery, University of Miami, 2012