Michael Sabia, MD
Cooper University Health Care Titles
- Division Head, Pain Management
- Pain Medicine Specialist
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Titles
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
- Pain Medicine
Cooper University Physician
As a pain management specialist, I believe in taking a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach when treating acute and chronic pain. I utilize all resources available when treating pain. These include but are not limited to interventional techniques, physical therapy, acupuncture, medical management, and others.
As the Division Head I oversee a group of physicians, APNs, residents, fellows, and office staff at the Cooper Pain Management Center. I started an ACGME-accredited Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Fellowship Program here at Cooper where residents can receive the proper training to become a board-certified pain medicine physician. This ACGME accreditation ensues that we treat all types of pain and perform all of the state-of-the-art interventional pain management procedures offered in modern medicine.
Education & Training
|Medical School||New York Medical College, Fifth Pathway Program, Valhalla, NY|
|Internship||Cooper University Hospital, Camden, NJ|
|Residency||Anesthesiology - Cooper University Hospital, Camden, NJ|
|Fellowship||Pain Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY|
Spinal cord stimulation, post laminectomy syndrome, radiofrequency ablation, low back pain
- Beta Beta Beta Honorary Society
- American Academy of Pain Management
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- New Jersey State Society of Anesthesiologists
- Camden County Medical Society Executive Member
- Society of Academic Anesthesiology Associations
- Camden County Medical Society: Treasurer
- Medical Society of New Jersey
Awards and Honors
- Resident of the Quarter, Cooper University Hospital
- The Marion Skriloff Scholarship Fund of the Rebekah State Assembly of NJ
- Medtronic Fellowship Award, Beth Israel Medical Center
- South Jersey Magazine "Top Docs" - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- SJ Magazine "Top Docs" - 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- New Jersey Monthly Magazine "Top Docs" - 2015, 2016, 2019
Member, Board of Directors, The American Pain Association
Editorial board member, Journal of Pain Management, 2012-present
Editorial board member, Journal of Palliative Care and Medicine, 2017-present
Sabia M, Mathur, R. Interventional Pain Procedures: Handbook and Video Guide.
Springer and Demos Medical 2018, 1st Ed.
Sabia M, Sehdev J, Bentley W. Urogenital Pain: A Clinicians Guide to Diagnosis and Interventional Treatments. Springer 2017, 1st Ed.
Sabia M, Ganguly K, Gessman R, Kalariya J, Mathur R: Can diet alone control inflammation? A comprehensive narrative review of dietary foods and supplements and their effects on inflammation and pain. Journal of Public Health Catalog 2018 Volume 1 Issue 3
Pradhan B, Wainer I, Moaddel R, Torjman M, Goldberg M, Sabia M, Parikh T, Pumariega A: Trauma Interventions using Mindfulness Based Extinction and Reconsolidation (TIMBER) psychotherapy prolong the therapeutic effects of single ketamine infusion on post-traumatic stress disorder and co-morbid depression: a pilot randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover clinical trial. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Trials 2017; 2:2.
Sabia M, Weaver M, Gessman R, Kalariya J: Update on the Importance of Medical Education in the Changing Field of Pain Medicine. Journal of Anesthesia and Patient Care 2017; 2:1. ISSN:2456-5490
Sabia M, Kudur V, Reddy A: Ketamine: Variable Uses in Medicine. Austin Journal of Anesthesia and Analgesia 2017; 5:1 ISSN: 2381-893X
Sabia M, Mathur R, Liadis J, Gerges T, Goldberg ME: Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: Ketamine’s Pharmacological Effects and Modern Treatment Applications. Internal Medicine Review 2016; 2: 10
Bentley WE, Sabia M, Goldberg ME, Wainer IW. Ketamine: An Update for Its Use in Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and Major Depressive Disorder. Clin Exp Pharmacol 2015;5: 169
Hoang HT, Sabia M, Torjman M & Goldberg ME. The importance of medical education in the changing field of pain medicine. Pain Manag. 2014; 4(6), 437–443
Sabia M, Hirsh, RA, Wainer, IW, Cooper N, Domsky R, Goldberg ME. Advances in Translational Neuropathic Research: Example of Enantioselective Pharmacokinetic-Pharmacodynamic Modeling of Ketamine-induced Pain Relief in Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2011; 15:207-214.
Goldberg, M.E, Schwartzman, R.J Domsky, R, Sabia, M, Torjman, M. Deep Cervical Plexus Block For The Treatment of Cervicogenic Headache. J Pain Physician, Nov/Dec 2008; 11:849-854 ISSN 1533-3159
Grants and Research
- Medtronics Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Fellowship Grant
- HRSA Supplement Grant on Opioid Training / Opioid & Substance Use Curriculum Michael Sabia MD, Consuelo Cagande MD, Kate Baston MD
- CMSRU-Coriell-Cooper Pharmacogenomics Grant Co-PI Michael Sabia MD, Kaitlyn Baston MD