Frequently Asked Questions

For your convenience we have the following is a list of frequently asked questions; if you would like to speak with an EAP team member or have questions not addressed below, please contact Paula Spiecker at: 

When do I become eligible?

There is no waiting period – you can activate your benefits by calling and scheduling an appointment! 

Who is eligible to use the EAP?

All employees and their immediate family members (spouse, life partner, or significant other living with the employee, and children up to the age of 26 years (considered a dependent) are eligible for EAP benefits. Family members between the ages of 18 and 26 years will be required to call and schedule their own appointments. Parents wishing to have children 12 years of age or younger seen by the EAP will be required to come in for a parent consultation. 

Is it my contact with the EAP confidential?

Cooper University Health Care complies with all HIPAA regulations. No information will be shared with anyone at any time without the client’s written consent. Unless it is evident the client is a danger to themselves or another person or there is the suspicion of child and elder abuse. EAP records are confidential and do not become part of the employee's Human Resource file. The policy pertains to voluntary, supervisory, AND mandatory usage of the program. 

Why should I call?

We encourage you to be proactive and seek assistance BEFORE a problem begins to affect your work.  You can contact us voluntarily whenever you feel you are in need.

What problems can you help me with?

  • Substance Abuse Problems for yourself or a family member
  • Stress Management
  • Anxiety & Depression
  • Interpersonal Difficulties
  • Grief and Loss
  • Transitional Issues
  • Psychiatric Disease or Distress
  • Marital and Family Problems
  • Co-Worker Conflict
  • Conflict Resolution
  • Relationship With Supervisor
  • Any issue that has the potential to negatively impact your work performance or quality of life

How can you help me with substance abuse?

An EAP counselor will conduct an evaluation and make a recommendation for treatment.  The treatment plan could include inpatient detoxification/rehab, followed by an intensive outpatient program (IOP), and then monitoring by the EAP for one year post-treatment.  Your EAP counselor will act as a case manager with the treatment facility to coordinate your care.

What happens if I have a problem and my work performance is impacted?

Your supervisor can refer you to the EAP when your performance begins to deteriorate.  You do not have to call the EAP if you are referred by your supervisor, you DO however have to come in every day and perform your job duties at a satisfactory or higher level.

You are not restricted to the 5 sessions when referred for a work performance issue; you will be seen until the problem is resolved. 

Can I be forced to use the EAP?

If an employee violates a policy that can result in immediate termination or if an employee has progressed through the disciplinary process and is in jeopardy of being terminated, the employer has at its discretion the ability to mandate an employee to the EAP.  An example of this would be if an employee self-discloses that they have a substance abuse problem or if an employee fails a drug screen, the employer may as a part of their last chance agreement include mandatory usage of the EAP.  Mandatory referrals are rare and must come from Human Resources.

How do I make an appointment?

To activate your EAP benefits, please call our office at 856-342-2280 so that we can complete an intake and schedule an appointment for you.

For more information please contact Paula Spiecker:

Where are your offices located?

We have three office locations: 

  • 1103 Kings Highway North, Suite 102
    Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
    Day and evening hours
  • Three Cooper Plaza, Suite 102-D
    Camden, NJ 08103
    Day and evening hours
  • 900 Centennial Boulevard, Building 1
    Voorhees, NJ 08043
    Tuesday afternoons only

For more detailed directions and maps please click here

What if I have an emergency?

The EAP has a counselor on call 24/7 for any clinical emergency. To reach the EAP counselor on-call after hours or during the weekend, please call 856-342-2000 and ask that the EAP counselor on-call be paged for you. 

Do you offer any coaching?

The EAP offers coaching for skill development such as effective communication, anger management, time management, assertiveness, and/or managing emotions. 

Coaching is NOT counseling and is only applicable for non-clinical issues.   

What if I have a problem with a co-worker and can’t resolve it on my own?

The EAP offers mediation to resolve workplace conflict. When two co-workers are at odds with each other this can create a business problem and it is in the best interest of both employees and the company to resolve the issue.  

Mediation is NOT counseling and is only applicable for non-clinical issues.  

What is CISM?

Critical incident stress management (CISM) services are offered to employees who have experienced an event that occurs outside the realm of normal work duties. CISM interventions are designed to help individuals begin the process of healing by allowing the impacted individuals the opportunity to talk about the event in a supportive and confidential environment.

Critical incident stress management interventions are NOT counseling.  

Do you offer referrals?

The EAP offers referrals to resources within the community, such as self -help groups, support groups, debt consolidation specialists, eldercare, childcare, etc.