When a vascular emergency happens, fast, expert response and precise treatment are imperative for a good outcome.
Fortunately, Cooper University Health Care is home to the region’s only Level One Vascular Emergency Program. Through this highly efficient program, patients with urgent vascular problems can be transferred to Cooper University Hospital by helicopter or ambulance from any hospital within a 100-mile radius. All it takes is a single phone call.
Once here, patients are treated by our team of world-renowned vascular surgeons, backed by a remarkable array of resources and the most advanced technology that modern surgery has to offer.
One Number for Fast Vascular Emergency Care
The Cooper Transfer Center is unique in South Jersey. To streamline a patient’s transfer for more advanced care, referring facilities simply call a single number: 888.789.4AAA. It is staffed 24/7 by a specialized transfer nurse who is in direct and instant contact with our vascular experts.
With one call, referring physicians can:
- Arrange transportation either by air or ground
- Activate Cooper’s vascular treatment team
- Facilitate physician-to-physician communication
- Obtain and expedite bed placement
When referring facilities call, the Cooper Transfer Center will ask for the following:
- Type of vascular emergency
- The name of facility transferring the patient
- The patient’s name and weight
- A call-back phone number
The Types of Vascular Emergencies Cooper Sees
Cooper’s fellowship-trained vascular surgeons have extensive experience treating all types of vascular disease. Some of the common vascular emergencies we treat include:
- Symptomatic/ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs)
- Symptomatic/ruptured thoracic aortic aneurysms
- Aortic dissection
- Lower extremity/limb-salvage vascular emergency
- Catastrophic abdominal vascular emergency
- Carotid artery disease
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Iliofemoral venous obstruction
State-of-the-art Resources and Technology
Cooper has invested in truly state-of-the-art resources and technology for treating vascular conditions, giving patients every advantage for optimal care. For example:
- Our hybrid OR suite is specifically designed for vascular and cardiothoracic patients, and combines cutting-edge surgical technology with today’s most sophisticated imaging capabilities
- Our surgeons use a variety of vascular and endovascular repair techniques and routinely incorporate new innovations, such as the fenestrated endograft, enabling us to treat a large number of patients who are not candidates for traditional endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)
- Dedicated nursing teams lend their expertise in the OR, contributing to our consistently successful patient outcomes