Most patients with breast cancer will have some type of surgery as part of their breast cancer treatment. If you’re like most people, the thought of surgery may make you uneasy. Rest assured, the knowledgeable and caring breast surgeons at The Janet Knowles Breast Cancer Center at MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper have extensive experience and perform the latest surgical techniques.
Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
The Janet Knowles Breast Cancer Center is one of the region’s leading providers for comprehensive breast cancer prevention, diagnosis, and treatment services.
- Diagnosing breast cancer: Breast cancer can be initially detected in many ways — a breast self-exam, a clinical breast exam, or a diagnostic imaging test such as a mammogram. If your doctor spots an abnormality, he or she may recommend further evaluation. This could include further imaging or a breast biopsy, where a doctor takes a small sample of the suspected tissue for further analysis.
- Treating breast cancer: If you’re diagnosed with breast cancer, a team of our breast cancer specialists will work together to decide which treatment (or combination of treatments) will be most effective for a particular type of cancer. Your treatment may include:
Breast Cancer Surgeries We Perform
Our breast surgeons specialize in a wide range of breast cancer surgeries, including:
- Lumpectomy, also known as breast-conserving surgery
- Mastectomy (surgery to remove the entire breast), including prophylactic (preventative) mastectomy, total mastectomy, skin-sparing mastectomy, and nipple-sparing mastectomy
- Lymph node surgery, or sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Placement of partial breast radiation devices
Why Choose MD Anderson Cooper for Breast Cancer Care?
We partner with one of the country’s top hospitals for cancer care, MD Anderson Cancer Center, to offer you expert breast cancer prevention, detection, and treatment services. You benefit from our:
- Leading cancer care expertise: Over the past decade, breast cancer treatments have dramatically evolved. Clinical advances have led to more effective, but also complex treatments. Our cancer care specialists have extensive experience treating breast cancer with the most advanced surgical techniques, offering you a better chance at treatment success.
- Convenience: With offices located throughout South Jersey, you will easily find a skilled breast cancer specialist who practices close to where you live.
- Team approach to breast cancer care: Our team of specialists works collaboratively to provide you comprehensive breast cancer care. For women who choose breast reconstruction surgery, our surgeons coordinate breast cancer treatments with a highly skilled team of reconstructive plastic surgeons. Learn more about what we offer at the Janet Knowles Breast Cancer Center.
- Access to clinical trials: Our specialists are at the forefront of breast cancer research. That means you may have the option of participating in a promising clinical trial as part of your breast cancer treatment.
- Full range of support services: Whatever challenges you run into during cancer treatment or recovery, we support you every step of the way. Our social workers can point you to resources to help address any financial concerns. Then talk with our nutrition experts to learn how a healthy diet can support your treatment, recovery, and long-term health. Explore all the ways we have you covered with our cancer care support services.
To learn more about the breast surgery services available at MD Anderson Cooper or to schedule an appointment, please call 855.MDA.COOPER (855.632.2667).
Refer a Patient
If you are a doctor who wants to refer a breast surgery patient to MD Anderson Cooper, please call 855.MDA.COOPER (855.632.2667).